Honey, We're Killing Our HomeOctober 28, 2019
If you take care of things, they last. If you take care of your rental properties, you're likely to minimize tenant turnaround by attracting long-term renters. Bonus: well-maintained rentals never stay vacant for too long.
Because minor damages and poor maintenance often lead to dangerous consequences, let's go over a few issues that can affect your rentals if they are not taken seriously. If you discover any of the following hassles with your own home or the rentals you manage, the best thing you can do is quickly take measures to prevent further damages and inconveniences.
Mold can grow anywhere from a bathroom wall to a basement ceiling to your favorite book on the shelf. The perfect conditions for mold growth are the places with a lot of moisture and high humidity, like leaks in roofs or pipes, or where there was flooding.
As there are numerous types of mold and all of them can eventually cause health problems, it's important to schedule rental inspections so you can catch mold issues as soon as they start. Once you or your renters identify mold on the property, don't ignore the problem. Getting rid of mold can be a long, arduous process. Hire a certified mold inspector if you cannot handle it yourself.
Also, keep in mind that people with allergies and asthma are more vulnerable to mold. So before renting out, make sure your property is mold-free and won't harm anyone.
Lack of ventilation
Inadequate ventilation leads to condensation and mold growth. If you don't want to drown in expensive home maintenance, there are a few steps for you to take. First and foremost, ask your tenants to air out the bathroom after taking a shower. Even if it's a windowless space, an open door afterward will work. You may want to think about installing a fan if your rental is older and prone to moldy conditions.
Also, make sure the range hood in a kitchen works properly: Your tenants probably don't enjoy deodorizing furniture every time they make french fries. Clean it thoroughly between rentals, and test it often.
Carbon monoxide leak
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is harmful to humans. It's produced by fuel-burning devices and is hard to detect. You're in danger if you don't pay enough attention to the concentration of CO in the air. The very first symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, weakness, chest pain, shortness of breath, and vomiting. In the event of a carbon monoxide leak, leave the building and call the emergency as soon as possible.
There's an easy and affordable way to protect yourself and your tenants: Install a carbon monoxide detector in the kitchen and outside the sleeping area. CO safety alarms sound an alarm when it detects high levels of carbon monoxide.
Broken pipes and clogged drains are costly repairs. To save on maintenance costs, check your water pressure and the condition of the pipes prior to letting the property. You might also need to install a new water softener to prevent water leaks.
Have you ever experienced any of the above-mentioned issues with your rentals? How did you deal with them? Share your advice by leaving comments in the section below.